Recent changes in the oil and gas pipeline industry have necessitated the implementation of fatigue mitigation countermeasures in pipeline control rooms.
The PHMSA control room management regulations (for example, CFR 49 192 and 195, Fatigue Mitigation) includes requirements for pipeline operators to implement specific shiftwork and fatigue training for controllers as well as hours of work guidelines that mitigate inherent schedule related fatigue. Furthermore, API/ANSI RP 755 provides guidelines on limits for hours of duty and minimum rest periods.
How CIRCADIAN can help you
- Fatigue Training: Managing Shiftwork and Fatigue. A means of providing the control room operators, managers and their families with proven tips and countermeasures to recognize signs of fatigue, increase alertness, get better sleep and better manage the challenges of a shiftwork lifestyle. CIRCADIAN's on-site training covers the topics required to meet the PHMSA regulation.
- Schedule and Fatigue Assessment. The Schedule and Fatigue Assessment is designed to assess existing control room schedules for fatigue and operational issues as part of the PHMSA regulation.
- Pipeline Controller Workload Assessment Program. Several of our pipeline clients have struggled with Part 195.446(e)(5), and As a result, Circadian has adapted a program that uses the NASA-TLX task load analysis to assist pipeline control rooms in complying with this part of the regulation.
- Employee Training & Wellness Publications. For your managers and employees to perform their best, they must have the right information at their fingertips. Whether a monthly newsletter for shiftworkers or a management report on best practices, educating your people will allow them to perform better and be more productive.
- Fatigue Risk Management Systems. Comprehensive fatigue management programs will map out the course of action to maintain high safety standards while reducing costs associated with fatigue-related errors and incidents.
- Shift Schedule Optimization. A unique approach to involve all concerned in designing the best schedule for the specific requirements of each workforce in each facility.
- Staffing Level Analyses. Scientific review of optimal employee deployment considering job requirements, length of operating campaigns, skill sets, financial constraints and human design characteristics and limitations.
- Sleep Disorders Screening. Many health care costs are dramatically increased due to untreated sleep disorders. CIRCADIAN offers screening and treatment programs that will guide shiftworkers and employers through the process.
- 24/7 Workplace Evaluation and Design. By incorporating specific design features, including lighting, sound, temperature, and ergonomic principles into your facility, employee alertness can be maximized at any time of the day or night.